Monday 2 December 2013

The Moment he says my name.

Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?” “They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?” Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.” Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”). (John 20:11-16 NIV)

Every time I read this passage I can't get past the fact that all Jesus has to do is say Mary's name and she instantly knows it's him. 

I can imagine the distress she feels as she goes back to mourn for Jesus who had set her free and completely changed her life only to find that someone has taken him away.
She is beside herself and has no idea where he is, she is so upset that infact when He himself comes to ask why she is crying she does not immediately know it's Him. 
Maybe she does not even look up, maybe she cannot. 

But the moment he speaks her name she knows who he is and she is instantly comforted. 

I cannot count the number of times that my thoughts have clouded my head so much that I cannot actually focus on anything. 
If God is trying to get my attention I do not even notice. 
If I am distressed I often listen straight past whatever he is saying to me, to busy panicking about what I should do, or what will happen next. 

But the moment he says my name, not even loudly or obviously, I know it's Him and I cannot even explain how. It's like I was looking for him and he was there all along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment