Thursday 21 May 2015

The simple.

His servants approached and said to him, “O master, if the prophet had told you to do some difficult task, you would have been willing to do it. It seems you should be happy that he simply said, “Wash and you will be healed.” (2 Kings 5:13 NET)

Don't we do this all the time? 
Neglect to listen to the simple because it seems just that, simple. 
We assume that because God is so big and powerful and extravagant that he is also complicated and difficult when he is actually not. 

It says this man was a commander, that he was esteemed and respected by his master because he had led them to great victory. 
So he was kinda important, he had a lot going for him and so I guess he had a pretty great life. 
Except for this one thing, he had a skin disease. 

When he eventually meets with the prophet to be healed and he asks him to do something simple in order to be healed, he's mad. 
He's mad because it seems to simple. 
He's mad cos it's not extravagant enough. 
He's probably annoyed that it requires effort and to be honest looks a little dumb. 
I mean God could just heal him like that. 
Isn't that a picture of what we sometimes do? 
Overlook the simple things God is asking of us in favor of the complicated stuff. 
We complicate everything because if God is big then everything else should be. 
But isn't God in the small also? 
Does he not take care of the sparrow as well as the lion? 
Does He not care for the wild flowers the same He does with us? 

Some of my biggest wins have come from obeying God in the simple small tasks.
Some of my greatest friendships came from listening to his voice when he tells me to go out of my way, asking me to do the small things that might not even seem like they make a difference. 
In the same way some of my greatest mistakes happened because I ignored the whisper and got caught up in the loud. 
I am the most guilty of complicating his voice, of making what he says an essay when it was just a sentence or even just a word. 
My mind can take the simple and scribble it into a complicated mess, when if I really think about it, it's not. 
God word is clear and when you think about it he is actually so beautifully simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment