Saturday 22 February 2014

Belong.


So I did something new and scary. 
I did spoken word poetry, which is basically reading something you wrote aloud to a group of people. 

I did it just for fun and I did it because I was scared to. 
I have been writing for a long time and recently starting sharing some of these on here, that in itself was a scary step. Reading it aloud is a whole other level of scary. 

But I did it and even though I read the shortest poem I could find and was shaking the whole time, I did it! 

I learnt something also while watching people share what they had written.
Each one of them extremely unique and each writing style completely different, not one of them looked the same or fit a mould and none of them tried to. 
Everyone of them was looking for the same thing. 
Community. 
Everyone who came and read was welcomed with open arms, everyone was encouraged and everyone was applauded. 
Phrases like "you have found a home here" and "let's show them the love that we have all experienced" were thrown around, and it dawned on me. 
Something I am familiar with on a daily basis and can sometimes take for granted. I am blessed to have the most incredible friends and I am not the same as any one of them, but we get along so well, can talk about anything and do life together. I realized that I belong somewhere and these people do too. 

Every single person is looking for somewhere to belong and find community, because at the end of the day everybody wants to belong somewhere and everybody does belong somewhere, it's our job to make them feel like that are a part of something. To help them feel like are an important part of something. 

So thanks spoken word for welcoming me and encouraging me to step out and do something scary, I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment